Maryland State Seal of Biliteracy
The Maryland State Seal of Biliteracy is a state award that recognizes a student's high level of proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in one or more languages other than English.
To be eligible, a student must:
1. pass the Maryland High School Assessment in English
2. score Intermediate High Proficiency or equivalent on an approved world language assessment
- Advanced Placement: 4 or better
- IB Standard: 6 or better
- IB Higher: 5 or better
- ACTFL Assessments: Intermediate High
* No fee is charged to students to apply BUT students are responsible for any assessment costs not covered by UHS or FCPS.
* The seal will be awarded at the Salute to Seniors Awards Program to those seniors who took the AP or IB exam in their sophomore or junior year.
* The seal will be awarded after graduation to those students who take AP and IB exams in their senior year. (AP and IB scores are not published until July.)
* All applications for the 2020-2021 school year are due to Ms. Beachley by Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
Maryland State Seal of Biliteracy Documents
Purpose and Eligibility Information
The Maryland State Seal of Biliteracy Brochure (English)
The Maryland State Seal of Biliteracy Brochure (Spanish)